Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blindness

I didn't know what to think when I first got my hands on this movie. I remember reading that Julianne Moore did a very good job in this film, so I did a little sleuthing to discover that Mark Ruffalo and Danny Glover were also in it. Shockingly, I took it upon myself to watch the film at some point. That point, was today. You might recognize the woman with the dark rimmed glasses as the girl from 'I am Legend'. I had to double check through IMDB and found it hard to believe that the girl is younger than I am. I think I'm starting to get to the age where everyone is younger and its a bit depressing. Just for the Mr. Skin shout out, you see her topless near the end of the film. Let's just say Milk does a body good. Moving on from my creepiness... (I've been single for a long time, lay off)

Starting off, I was a little confused as to where the film was going to lead. A person randomly goes blind while sitting in a car driving through traffic. From there things move surprisingly fast. It reminds me of a zombie movie in the way that its very contagious and the world falls apart. It was an interesting twist because I don't think a person ever thinks about how blindness can cause world order to collapse.

I thought the movie was going to be more of a sci fi, weird virus, 28 days later type of movie. In reality, it was much more than that. I don't remember this movie getting much press, but it definitely should have. It was about people, how people handle extraordinarily bad circumstances. The film is in line with Thomas Hobbes (if I remember by philosophy correctly) stating that all men are inherently evil and society is what makes them good. If you do watch this movie at some point, which I highly recommend, take the time to really think about the amount of weight that fell on Julianne Moore's character. It is absurd. And in reality, if it wasn't for her, the film would have had a completely different ending.

As a forewarning, the movie is extremely disturbing at points. The director is the same guy that did The Constant Gardner which was also a good movie. This I think trumps it.

A highly recommend the movie and give it a strong 4 out of 5 Manatees.

0 comments:

Post a Comment