Saturday, February 28, 2009

Eastbound and Down

Typically speaking, any HBO original series is an automatic winner in my eyes. Over the years, I must admit, I've come to enjoy practically every premium channel series. If you don't have HBO or Showtime, you should. The Sopranos, Entourage, Californication, Weeds. The list goes on. So, without knowing anything else, I was excited about the prospect of this show. When I learned it was with the guy from FootFist Way and Will Ferrell was an executive producer, we have a formula for success.

General plot is a baseball player that enters the MLB as a stud, goes down in flames and the after effects. The story is creative, premise is both believable and unbelievable at the same time. Humor is out there, very Will Ferrell like and to an extent that you feel uncomfortable sometimes. I think that's been a trend in shows lately. I know I've watched episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm, turning away during particular scenes because its just difficult to watch. I think that show in particular broke ground for that type of comedy on television today. The Office is another show that has a sometimes unbelievable Michael Scott saying or doing the most awkward things.

I've only watched the first 2 episodes of the show, but think there COULD be some potential. Typically speaking, I'm more of a drama-phile when it comes to premium show original series, but I'm not 100% sold on this yet. The main character is just that, quite a character, definitely able to hold the lead of the show. My only concern is that the show will become redundant with jokes and it will get monotonous, but the plot is still evolving and I won't be to quick to judge.

I don't want to give the show a rating quite yet, but I'll post something a few episodes later so that I can be a better judge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment