Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pandora Internet Radio

is probably the most amazing application ever. I know I'm very late to this party, but my god, streaming radio that is catered to your own individual taste? You can listen to music you don't even own? In theory this idea is a gold mine, and in reality, it lives up to it. It's even extremely simple to set up, just click here and you can create an account and a few 'stations'. If you have an iPhone, which it seems is only a matter of time before everyone has one, this application is even more amazing. I never really got into Pandora originally because I never really thought about listening to music while working on the computer, the speakers at my office computer are horrible, so i just kept putting it off, but recently I went on a kick of getting several applications for the iPhone and FINALLY set up an account. I pop my phone on my speaker dock and Voila. Internet radio streamed to my speaker dock.

So yes, I like music like everyone else, but I am always trying to learn of new bands. Obviously everyone that reads this blog knows me well, so me describing myself as an addictive personality shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Just like everything else in my life, when I get into something, I'm 110% (similar to this blog, lets see if this keeps up by June...) So I get into bands, wear them out over a month, then try and find a new band. The problem with getting into Indie music is hearing about new bands, getting exposed. It's mostly through word of mouth, maybe a few trusted websites, but its a crapshoot. Pandora does a great job exposing you to these bands that you are more than likely going to like, and providing you with the all important information of band and album names.

I've created a music station based on my love for Vampire Weekend. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this band, but both A-Punk and my personal favoriteThe Kid's Don't Stand a Chance. But I've come across a lot of bands and songs that I really really like thanks to Pandora. I wanted to share them with you all (they are in no particular order):

Spoon - The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine

Velour - The Way She Said

Bloc Party - This Modern Love

Zox - A Little More Time

Coconut Records - West Coast

The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)

The Magic Numbers - Take a Chance

Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance

Ra Ra Riot - Each Year

The Kooks - Seaside

Pinback - Fortress

Band of Horses - The Funeral

I tried not to double up on bands, just to give you an idea of the sound of each band. But 2 weeks ago, I knew none of these bands. I recognized a few band names, but wasn't really familiar with their music. Now they are all go-to's. The power of Pandora. Embrace it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment